I had some work tops left over from our old place, so I decided to make a kitchen in the garden. Here is a brief summary, but there are lots more pictures on Flickr.
Planning it out took quite a bit of time. I had to work with the space I had and the worktop was already cut to a size, so getting the plan right was important.
Once I knew where everything was going I laid the blocks in post-crete and got them all level with a spirit level.
Once that was done then it should have been pretty easy to build it up to height. I had never worked with mortar before so I learnt a lot and got a lot better as I tried more things.
Ok so there was a bit of a complication. The breeze blocks didn’t stick to each other.
Years of building jumps made me realise that the problem was that both surfaces were too smooth so the mortar didn’t bind to them. I made the surfaces textured and they stuck a lot better.
Also it’s important to make the surfaces wet I think.
So then it all went up much easier. Cleared the ground.
Lick of paint
Stick the tops on.
Stop for a break (this actually took a few weeks in total)
Now on with the bbq/oven thing/
Testing the oven
Time to use it…
Works pretty well.